The Reality of Imagination Online Course
Beginning Monday August 24th
Testimonial: “The class has been remarkably fruitful. Your steady and patient invitation for each of us to explore the imaginal realm has been a real boon for me. One drop at a time, the clarification of Sidi’s teachings greatly impacted my prayers/practice/life – with openings that I’ve resisted for a long time – Alhamdulillah.” (SM)
“Allah made imagination a commonality between all people of all religions, nations and ethnicities because imagination is an intermediary (barzakh) between the spirit and the body.” – from The Reality of Imagination, Sidi Muhammad al-Jamal ar-Rifa’i Ash-Shadhuliyyah.
Abd al-Qadir Davies will be leading biweekly online discussions on this transformative book by our beloved guide, presented by the Farm of Peace. The book opens the door to the world of the soul, the Jabarut. This is not an entry-level text. It is highly recommended to have read and studied some of Sidi’s books, including Music of the Soul and He Who Knows Himself Knows His Lord, and to be engaged in related spiritual practices, to benefit most from the discussions and application of the material covered.
Biweekly sessions will meet on Mondays from 7:00 to 8:30pm ET. These will be held every two weeks, adjusting for USHS school sessions or other major events or holidays impacting participants. We will read (and insha’llah write) each section sequentially in advance, in preparation for each webinar class session.
- Frequency: Most classes will be every other week. Please note that the first two classes will be only one week apart to avoid the Labor Day holiday. We may also adjust dates later in the year to accommodate holidays and community events.
- Time: 7:00pm-8:30pm Eastern Time (4:00pm-5:30pm Pacific Time)
- Payment is by heart donation (recommended range is $5 to $50 per class session).
- We request payments in advance for 6 sessions at a time and at the rate you choose
- We expect to take about 25-30 sessions to complete the book (roughly a year, meeting every other week)
Webinars will be held via Zoom which you can access through your phone or computer– details for linking to the classes will be provided via email before the course begins. Class sessions will be recorded in case you miss an occasional session.
The first 6 class dates will be:
Teacher Bio: John Abd al Qadir Davies, LL.B., M.Litt., M.S., Ph.D., is a faculty member of the University of Sufim and student of Sidi since 2002. He is a professor and Co-Director at the Partners in Conflict and Partners in Peacebuilding Projects at the Center for International Development and Conflict Management at the University of Maryland. He has been a part of the Farm of Peace community since its founding in 2003 and is a member of the Farm’s Wellness Team and Council of Elders.