The Farm of Peace (FOP) is currently seeking to fill the volunteer role of Board Treasurer.
The Treasurer is an officer and voting member of the Board with the Board fiduciary duties and appointed per the bylaws. The Board Treasurer is the lead advisor to the Board on financial governance and oversight. They must present the financial health of the Nonprofit with monthly financial statements. The treasurer is preferably a member of the local or national Sufi community who has no financial conflict of interest with the Farm of Peace.
Principle Duties Include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee the development/maintenance of financial policies and their periodic review by the Board
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and its presentation to the Board for review and approval
- Ensure that the appropriate monthly or quarterly financial statements are reviewed by the Board
- Assist the Board in regularly monitoring the organization’s financial performance and alert it to any important discrepancies between planned and actual figures
- Ensure that the organization maintains the appropriate financial records and that these are accurate and up-to-date
- Assist in the development of strategic plans, providing a sound financial perspective to the plan
- Responsible for completing, or ensuring the completion of required financial reporting forms (including the IRS Form 990 and State of Pennsylvania filings) in a timely manner and making these forms available for the Board’s review.
This position is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the Farm of Peace mission and who embodies our core values of love, peace, justice and environmental sustainability. Their references will document high levels of integrity, ethics, and professionalism. The successful candidate will be a strong professional who provides creative, decisive, and proactive leadership in ensuring the Farm of Peace’s financial health. If you don’t have direct accounting or financial experience but you are good with numbers, money, investments, keeping track of details and you love clarity and organization, you could be just right for this position, and you’d find this work very satisfying too.
Ideal candidate will possess a number of the following:
- Proven skill in developing operating strategies that are financially sustainable within a non-for-profit organization
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and strategic directions
- An understanding of and/or experience with sound financial management and reporting practices
- Competency in financial and program analysis; and enhancement of both earned income and philanthropic contributions
- Professional finance or accounting credentials are preferred but not required
- Experience with the kind and level of financial information needed at a Board level to support decision making
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting; building and tracking budgets; assessing IT needs and solutions; and developing and implementing successful financial strategies to achieve significant organizational growth.
- An ability to commit the time necessary to fulfill the responsibilities described, an average of 3-5 hours per week.
Board terms and participation
Farm of Peace Board Officers will serve a three-year term. They are eligible for re-appointment for one additional period. Also, Farm of Peace will hold Board meetings monthly, and Officers will hold committee meetings in coordination with full Board meetings. The Treasurer position currently requires a time commitment of 3-5 hours per week. The time commitment will be reduced when the new ED is in place and we have new staff in the office.